2011 was an interesting year. i finished up the nick fellowship, which was an amazing experience. i learned a lot, met great people, and wrote a bunch of solid scripts. as great as the experience was, it didn’t lead to a job, so the end of the year after the fellowship was rather depressing. i’m hoping 2012 leads to some sort of breakthrough.
here were my top 3 goals for 2011:
- get staffed on a show after the fellowship.
NO. this didn’t happen. not even close. i also didn’t get an agent, and didn’t get into another writing program (although i did make it past the first round of disney). sigh.
- write a pilot script.
YES. i finally wrote my first pilot! i’m already working on my second.
- make a web series or short film.
SORT OF. i didn’t shoot anything, but i did finish the script for a live action short, so i count that as half.
so out of my 3 goals, i accomplished 1.5. not so great.
here are my 3 main goals for 2012. i think i’ll want these same 3 goals every year, until at some point i stop making short films and make a feature.
- be a working writer, and get staffed on a show. this means i’ll need to get an agent first, so i’m lumping both of these things together for my main goal.
- write at least 2 new scripts, either 2 pilots, or a pilot and a spec. during my year of the nick fellowship, i wrote 6 scripts, but i was doing it full time. i’m not sure what my work situation will be, so i’m aiming for 2 minimum in case i work a full time non writing job.
- make a short film or web series. the script for one is completed, and i have a rough drafts for 2 more shorts. one has a psychic, one is at a restaurant, and one has a disease. i’m ready to start preproduction on the psychic one. i have to find a line producer, find a location, and start casting!
besides my 3 main goals, i also have a few small goals that i’ll share.
- watch the top 100 afi movies. i’m going by the 10 year anniversary list. http://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx i’ve already seen 50 of them, so i have 50 left to go. if you haven’t seen charlie chaplin in city lights, i would highly recommend it!
- i want to read more scripts, so i’m aiming for at least one a month. tv, feature, doesn’t matter. i’m really aiming for one a week, but just in case i get lazy, i’ll say one a month.
anyone want to share what they accomplished in 2011 and what they’re aiming for in 2012?