2014 writing program notifications

*updated 10/07/14

Here’s my annual writing program post. If you hear of any updates, please let me know. Good luck, everyone!

WRITING PROGRAMS

• Nickelodeon
    Finalists have been announced on their Facebook page.
  • WB
    The writers have been announced on their Facebook page.
  • CBS
    I think the writers were chosen. I know of at least one writing duo who got in! Also, one of my students from my workshop, and a writer I worked with 1 on 1 both made semifinalist in CBS! Congrats to both of them!
  • NBC
    My friend Stephanie from my writers’ group got in the program! Here’s the list of the writers who made it in: https://www.facebook.com/writersontheverge
  • ABC/Disney
    They said on their Facebook page they’re hoping to contact semifinalists before Thanksgiving.
  • Sundance Episodic Story Lab
    10 fellows were chosen in the inaugural program. A huge congrats to my friend Nick for getting in!

CONTESTS

• NYTVF
    ?
  • Austin
    Congratulations to 6 of my students who made it to the 2nd round with the specs they wrote in my workshop (Jay, Amanda, April, Shannon, Lak, and Jack), plus 3 more (Prashant, Paul, and Bernard) who made it with scripts they wrote after my workshop! The full list of Second Rounders and Semifinalists is on their site.
  • Scriptapalooza
    Congrats to my students April (finalist) and David (semifinalist) for placing in Scriptapalooza with their specs!
  • Slamdance
    Quarterfinalists have been announced on their site. Congrats to my friends Boey and Erika for placing with their pilot!
  1. Billywilly left a comment on August 29, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Thanks for the info!

2. CJC left a comment on August 29, 2014 at 1:52 pm

I got a rejection email from WB a couple of hours ago. I happened to find your blog soon after, since I was trying to see if NBC sent anything out yet. I’m still waiting to hear back about WOTV. This was my first year applying and I was too late for ABC/Nick/CBS. Fingers crossed for NBC.

The WB email said 1904 people applied this year.

Your posts about WOTV were very informative, thanks!

3. shannon left a comment on August 29, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Wah I was rejected from the WB too. I wasn’t too broken up about it surprisingly. Looking forward to next year (in the event that I’m rejected from the other programs as well).

4. Billywilly left a comment on August 31, 2014 at 2:56 pm

NBC
    semifinalists have started to get calls.

Today? Weird!

• kiyong left a comment on August 31, 2014 at 3:00 pm

no, at the end of last week. i just found out today.

• Billywilly left a comment on September 2, 2014 at 4:24 pm

So strange… no one I know has been called or heard of anyone else being called. Oh well, I’ll stay hopeful until they announce the fellows on facebook!

5. Sarah left a comment on September 2, 2014 at 9:04 am

do you know if all semi-finalists have been contacted for NBC WOTV?

• kiyong left a comment on September 2, 2014 at 9:07 am

i don’t know for sure, but i would assume so.

• Sarah left a comment on September 2, 2014 at 10:21 am

thanks for the reply!

6. Nicole left a comment on September 3, 2014 at 11:44 am

Thanks for this! So nice to be able to see it all in one place. I didn’t get a rejection email from WB, but I also haven’t heard anything positive. Do you know what their process is? Send the rejection emails THEN ask people for more samples? I’m a little worried I didn’t submit my application properly! Ha

• Shay left a comment on September 24, 2014 at 10:03 am

I am in the same position and actually still haven’t heard anything. No rejection and no advancement. Seeing as though it’s nearing the end of the month, that’s a little weird. Just wondering if you’ve heard anything yet?

7. Reed left a comment on September 4, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Austin Film Festival wrote in a comments section on their FB page that letters re: the screenplay competition are going out this week (as in 9/2). So people should start getting letters this Friday/Saturday and early next week??

8. thegoodfan left a comment on September 5, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Update from NBC on 9/5 (Fri) – “We’re pleased to announce that all applicants selected for the phone interview round have now been notified. Congratulations to those who made it this far! Best of luck!”

9. Reed left a comment on September 6, 2014 at 10:46 am

Got my Austin Film Festival letter for the original pilot competition today. Did not receive a letter for the TV spec script competition yet.

The letters are obviously in the mail for everyone and arriving at different times (depending on service).

10. Shannon left a comment on September 6, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I got a letter from Austin too and I placed in the second round for my Mindy script huzzah! Maybe next year I can place in the semis or better

• Anonymous left a comment on September 6, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Congrats, and way to look forward! Another second rounder here, with my drama spec for OITNB. Anybody know how many folks apply/advance?

• shannon left a comment on September 6, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Thanks and congrats to you too!

11. Thackery left a comment on September 8, 2014 at 10:07 am

Hello! I see you mentioned that CBS was currently making calls for interviews? Do you know if they’ve already contacted all finalists? Thank you!

12. MJ Gardner left a comment on September 8, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Thanks for doing this.

13. Capoeira left a comment on September 9, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Thanks for the info! FYI, on August 20th ABC/Disney posted on their facebook page: “With over 1500 applicants it’s a long process…but semi-finalists will be notified around mid-November.”

14. Capoeira left a comment on September 9, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Well, WB has sent email to people who made the top 5% (but didn’t make the final round), and thus are invited to a free evening seminar…

15. bobwritesit left a comment on September 10, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Hey all! Capoeira and others, did you get these 5% emails yesterday? Were you asked for additional samples first? I was asked for additional material in August, but haven’t heard anything since… I’m wondering if that means “no thanks” or if I might still get a call… Thanks for letting me know! Also, were you emailed or snail-mailed re: the top 5%?

16. SugeBanya left a comment on September 10, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I got a top 5% email yesterday. Wasn’t asked for other samples at any point.

17. Bernard Badion left a comment on September 14, 2014 at 11:02 pm

always doing the people’s work! thanks for the shout out, kiyong!

18. thegoodfan left a comment on September 17, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Update on the ABC fellowship facebook page today: 2015 Writing Program Update — You may be wondering where oh where are those scripts you submitted almost 4 months ago. Well, we are wrapping up second reads and gearing up for round three…perhaps the toughest read yet…because the judges will be ABC, ABC Studios, ABC Family and Disney Channel creative executives. We’re working hard to meet our goal of identifying our semi-finalists before Thanksgiving. Good luck to all of our aspiring TV writers!!!

19. D. Alvaro left a comment on September 29, 2014 at 10:28 am

Hey, Kiyong. Do you know if ABC/Disney Writing Program requires additional SPEC or PILOT for SEMIFINALISTS?

Thanks so much for your insight, it’s inspirational to say the least.

• kiyong left a comment on September 29, 2014 at 10:32 am

i’m not sure how disney will do it this year. this is the first time they required a pilot and spec to submit, so it’s anybody’s guess as to what they’ll ask for. ideally, you have one of both just in case!

• D. Alvaro left a comment on September 29, 2014 at 11:37 am

Thanks again, Kiyong! 😃

20. J left a comment on November 7, 2014 at 11:13 am

Has anyone received an call from ABC yet?

21. MJ left a comment on November 14, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Disney just announced on FB that semi-finalist interviews are complete and finalists announced next week…