(updated 12/09/17) It's that time of year again, and notifications have started! Please let me know if you hear any news, and check the comments for updates I may not have…
(updated 12/08/16) Notifications have started! Please let me know if you hear any news. WRITING PROGRAMS ABC Disney Writing Program I hear they already conducted their semi-final interviews, and they may have already…
(this post is outdated. the current 2016 notifications are here.) I didn't apply to any fellowships this year, but here’s my annual writing program post. If you hear of any updates,…
*updated 10/07/14 Here's my annual writing program post. If you hear of any updates, please let me know. Good luck, everyone! WRITING PROGRAMS Nickelodeon Finalists have been announced on their…
11/25/13 it's that time of year again!. i'll update this post as i hear more. if you have any news to share, let me know. congrats to those who already…
i had a poll last week to see which of my spec scripts people wanted to read: 30 rock, parks and rec, or happy endings. the numbers were overwhelmingly for…
i get a lot of emails from people asking to read my scripts, but my policy is i only give my scripts to friends. however, i decided to post just the cold open from one of my specs, but i can’t decide which one. help me pick which one by voting below!
the choices are:
- 30 rock – this script got me into the nick fellowship, and past the 1st round of abc/disney
- parks and rec – this script got me into NBC wotv
- happy endings – this is my latest spec that i sent to wb, abc, and cbs this year
here are some google searches people used to find my blog, and answers to those questions.
when do they notify finalists for the tv writing workshops
– usually around september for the first round. nickelodeon starts earlier, sometimes late july. it’s coming up!
how many people apply to tv writing fellowships
– between 1000 to 2000 a year, depending on the program. disney used to get around 2000, then they asked for letters of the recommendation, and it dropped to 1000 that year. wotv received around 1600 last year, 1900 this year. i think nickelodeon gets around 1300, but keep in mind it’s all comedy writers and fewer slots.
odds of getting tv writing fellowships
– this is related to the question above. disney and nbc take 8 people a year, cbs, wb, and nickelodeon take less. i’m not too familiar with the new fox program. 1 in a 100 is 1%, so 1 in a 1000 is .1%, and they receive more than a 1000 submissions a year, so less than .1%.
the year is already half over! so far, i finished wotv, and have been working a pretty cool full time day job as a designer at shazam. my top 3 goals for 2013 were:
- be a working writer, and get staffed on a show.
- write at least 2 new pilot scripts.
- write a feature script.
here’s my semiannual progress report:
we had a mixer with writers from the various network writing programs, including cbs, wb, disney, the new fox program, and us from nbc wotv. there were maybe 40 writers plus the people who run the programs. it was really crowded, and a lot of fun.
here’s something you might not have known: many writers go through multiple programs. this is my second program, and i met others who went through 2, 3, and even 4 programs. people who are good enough to get into one often times get into another. but why would a writer do multiple programs? because getting into a writing program is no guarantee. it’s not like winning the lottery. obviously, the ideal situation is you get into a writing program, and then you get an agent and get staffed immediately after. that doesn’t always happen though. the programs are a chance to meet other writers, work on writing samples, and meet execs, but yeah, there are no guarantees of getting staffed.