2010 year in review, and my goals for 2011
i like to make lists and i always have goals. i write them down and track my progress regularly. here were my top 3 goals for 2010:
- get into a writing fellowship, or get representation (an agent or manager).
ACHIEVED! i got into the nickelodeon writing fellowship on my 2nd try, after having made it all the way as a finalist the year before. this one goal is not just something that was significant for me this year, but it was a life changing event.
- make a web series or short film.
ACHIEVED! i made a short film after my script was one of the ones selected for the duke city shootout. it was an amazing experience and i met a lot of great people out in albuquerque.
- write a pilot sitcom script.
NO i had a concept and the characters figured out, but didn’t get to actually write the script.
so i accomplished 2 out of 3 goals last year. 2010 was an amazing year for me, and i’m hoping 2011 is just as good.
here are my goals for 2011:
- get staffed on a show after my fellowship.
- write a pilot sitcom script or an animated show bible. this one is basically the same as last year, except now that i got into nickelodeon, i want to come up with ideas for my own animated shows to pitch.
- make a web series or animated short film. besides having the written product from goal #2, i want to have a finished proof of concept that i can show.
anyone want to share their goals or resolutions for 2011?
Hello kiyong. This will be my first year submitting a spec to nickelodeon. I have a great community spec.
Last year I submitted a few specs to Warner bros, Disney, NBC, and CBS. Unfortunately I was not chosen, nor did I get an interview.
So this year I’m back with three new specs, and my goal for 2011 is to get into one of these fellowships and get a manager.
I wrote my pilot last year and I did a couple of specs, but I didn’t get a fellowship.
So again this is the year for fellowship acceptance. I also plan to write a good screenplay and maybe another pilot over the summer.
I enjoy reading your posts and I hope to follow in your footsteps as a professional writer.
I have two questions, what kind of degree did you earn? And what’s the average age of the fellows in the nickelodeon writing program?
hey rick, i went to art school and got my degree in illustration. it’s completely unrelated to writing, but i did take several writing classes at emerson college while i was in school. i also took a few screenwriting classes (features, not tv) through ucla extension years later, but as far as tv writing, that’s self taught through reading a few books and reading lots of tv scripts. as for age of the nickelodeon fellows, it ranges from early 20s to mid 30s. i wouldn’t worry too much about age. if that first spec script you submit is amazing, and i mean better than 99.9% of the other scripts, i think you’ll be ok. (and there are well over a thousand scripts submitted so 99.9% isn’t hyperbole.)
I’m working hard for 2011 to bring:
1) Acceptance into a fellowship or MFA program
2) “Completion” of 6 great specs
3) Do an improv or sketch writing class
4) Work through a pilot or screenplay
Continue on your winning streak!! And thanks again for always sharing and inspiring!!
hi fonda, that’s very ambitious. i love it!